Monday, April 18, 2011

1 Month Down

Ahhh, Kosovo.  I’m almost settled?  Not sure if I ever will be, rhythm is difficult. For a place that is “slow,” it sure can be pretty busy sometimes.  I must be honest, the paper work can be mind numbing, and is definitely one of the worst parts of the job.  It kind of reminds me of “Office Space,” where his TPS reports are rejected because he has the wrong cover sheet on them.  I once had to jump through hoops at the last minute because I used the wrong mission ticket that literally changed over night… the difference in the two?  Nothing substantial, I can assure you.  Other than that, it’s not bad.  Living conditions are good and getting better, especially since the last rotation has finally left: no line at the DFAC (dining facility), no wait at the gym, and I finally moved into my room, which is about the size of my master bedroom at home.  Camp Bondsteel is pretty cool.  It has some amazing views and good run routes.  I’ll post pics of Bondsteel later (when I take them that is.)
Picture from Camp Atterbury, IN.
What are we doing here?  Good question.  We are a deterrent presence.  That means, we do a lot presence patrols to ensure that no ethnic tensions flare up.  On the off chance that they would, we train a lot in crowd and riot control.  This training can get pretty brutal.  It is pretty much force on force, that is, a multi-national infantry company will act as rioters for us and then we’ll act as rioters for them.  You can imagine that it gets rough.  So far, I've seen a broken nose, a broken finger, and numerous cuts/scrapes. We also do a lot of border security, trying to deter smuggling of all kinds along the ABL, or Administrative Boundary Line, between Serbia and Kosovo.  This is primarily in the mountains and the views are amazing.  I have some pics, but they don’t do it justice.



  
Kids riding on a horse drawn cart.
In the towns, the kids love us.  They are always running along side the humvees, waving.  I must be honest though, I’m not sure if they love us, or love the chocolate and gum soldiers are prone to give out.  I guess love is love.


The villages are pretty cool and the people are generally friendly.  It’s pretty crazy because Kosovo is starting to really work on infrastructure, so we see it developing.  I have often wondered what it was like driving across the US while the roads were getting paved for the first time.  It must be a lot like here.  You’ll be driving into a major city and the roads are paved and in decent condition, but as you exit, you are literally diverted into oncoming traffic without warning; the pavement ends; traffic goes from 50 MPH to about 10 MPH; and we narrowly avoid an accident every time.  I’m not sure how people know where to go.  There are no signs, cones, nothing; just a break in the guard rail.  Pretty crazy.

Small mountain village
Sorry for this next part, most will think it’s pretty disgusting.  The toilets in Europe are terrible.  First noticed in Germany, they are built backwards.  Meaning, the hole to flush through is in the front of the toilet, not the back.  Also, the water level is non existent.  You can imagine that this leaves some major streakage.  Kosovo is worse.  The hole is still in the front, but now there is a bowl area to catch the excrement, still no water, so it just sits in the open for all the world to smell.  Terrible design.  Sorry, I don't have any pics.
Well, that’s all for now.  I’ll try to be more regular in posting, but no promises.  

Dinner after a long day


No comments:

Post a Comment