Monday, March 7, 2011

Notes from Germany

A few quick notes.

The flight over was pretty uneventful except for one thing: Bangor, Maine.  We had to stop to refuel in Bangor.  It was 0200 in the morning.  When we got off the plane, there were about 2 dozen people standing there greeting us.  They were all clapping and shaking our hands.  The airport opened all the shops and we all just hung out with these old people.  Surreal.

Germany is deceptively cold.  It looks warm and nice outside, but freezing.  The temperature can even be above freezing and it still feels really cold.  I blame celcius!

We are training in an area that Hitler used to train the SS.  My german interpreter said that Hitler picked this place because of the rough terrrain and terrible weather.  We were out on mission yesterday and I looked up and saw an old German pilbox.  I started looking around and noticed that the hill side was dotted with them.  Some clearly bombed, others fully intact.  I will post the picture later, when I have time. 

This is the confusing life I lead: I miss New Mexico, but wish I were in Kosovo.

No comments:

Post a Comment